Friday, November 29, 2013

NOTD: Deborah Lippmann 'Cleopatra in New York'

Today's nail of the day features my first ever Deborah Lippmann nail polish! I was so excited to finally get my hands on one of these infamous polishes... infamous for both the beautiful glitters and the hefty price tag.  Deborah Lippmann glitter polishes retail for $19.00 so I couldn't wait to see if this baby was worth the price. I have the color 'Cleopatra in New York,' described as a 'gold-studded black.'

2 coats and a top coat, natural sunlight
As you can see in the picture, the nail polish shows up looking like the glitter is a bit green! That's okay with me though, because it still has a beautiful finish.  The glitters are very thickly spread through the polish so every stroke on my nail was full of it. When I added the second layer, the glitters on the first layer mixed with the top layer created a very cool almost 3-D effect. I thought the finished product was quite lovely and was not too chunky!
My frustration with this product lies in the fact that it chipped rather quickly for me. I used an old-ish bottle of Seche Vite Top Coat so perhaps the old formula didn't do a good job with sealing the color onto my nail.  Boo.

Deborah Lippmann nail polishes are truly unique and also have ingredients in the formula that are good for your nails such as biotin and green tea extract. It also does not have parabins, sulfates, or formaldehyde.  If you think this all warrants the $19 price tag then by all means, buy this polish! It certainly is nice! For me, however, I would only splurge on this polish if it is a glitter that is not dupable and something I simply HAVE to have. For instance, 'Mermaid's Dream' is on my Christmas list because it is that beautiful of a color and as far as I know, no known dupe exists!
Overall, I'm torn.  It's a beautiful color and apparently good for my nails, but is it really worth $19??? You can decide :)

xxSJ

No comments:

Post a Comment