Thursday, February 4, 2016

Sample Round-Up! Glam Glow, Smashbox, Clarins, Living Proof, and more!

Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer
Full size cost: $36 for 1 oz
Sample value: $9 for 0.25 oz
This primer has a very intense 'slip' to it when applied to the face. It almost feels like an oily film when you put it on your skin. This of course allows your foundation to glide on effortlessly and smoothly, however I really don't like the feeling this gives me. Rather than feeling like my skin is moisturized, it makes me feel like I have a thin, impenetrable layer of oil on top of my skin. I would pass on this sample or purchasing this product in the future.

Omorovicza Thermal Cleansing Balm
Full size cost: $110 for 1.7 oz
Sample value: $4.53 for .07 oz
This black balm is made from Hungarian moor mud and is apparently very fancy... it is supposed to be able to remove all make up while deeply cleansing your pores. I tried this out in the shower and it immediately made me feel like I had a layer of butter on my face--as I was rubbing this in I felt my skin had a film of very soft and cushiony cream on it. It smelled very fresh (like clean linen with oranges on top?) and felt very luxurious to use. Though it felt very good on my skin, once I rinsed the product off, I did not see or feel lasting effects. I got two uses out of this sample.

GlamGlow Brightmud eye treatment
Full size cost: $69 for pack of 12
Sample value: $5.75 for 1 treatment

This stuff is interesting! The 'mud' definitely looks muddy complete with little particles in the light orangey-brown mixture. You are supposed to apply this product liberally to your entire eye area, wait 3 minutes, then wipe it off with a tissue. I had to use some water and a towel to get all the stuff off of my skin and to be honest, though this felt very good and cooling on my eyes, I did not see a brightening effect. I think this product would work to depuff eyes since it is cooling, but otherwise I think it is insanely expensive for not much end result.

Living Proof Full Thickening Cream
Full size cost: $15 for 1.8 oz
Sample value: $1.42 for .17oz foil packet
This stuff smells SO GOOD! I tried this cream out on my damp hair leaving my roots alone, as the packet suggested. Unfortunately my hair looked quite oily by the end of the day and I didn't notice much extra volume or thickness (though my hair smelled amazing for the whole day!). I have another use out of this foil packet but I won't be using it up.

Clarins Super Restorative Total Eye Concentrate
Full size cost: $83 for 0.53 oz
Sample Value: $31.32 for 0.2 oz tube
I really like this stuff! It smells VERY strongly of roses, so if you're not into that then I would pass. Otherwise, I used this at night before bed and in the morning before moisturizing and it made my eye area feel very moisturized, awake, and I think it decreased the appearance of my under-eye circles. I want to try a different product before making an $83 splurge (I AM only 24 so it seems silly to invest in expensive eye creams at this point in my life), but I would recommend trying this luxury sample out if you get the chance!

Total value of all samples: $52.02
What the heck?! Over $50 for some random products I pulled out of my sample bag?? This just goes to show you:
a) beauty products are flippin' expensive, and
b) you should use up your samples! There's a lot of value in samples and its so fun to feel like you're living the life of luxury by nonchalantly using a $5 eye treatment on a whim.

Hope you enjoyed this week's sample round-up!!

xxSJ

No comments:

Post a Comment