Sunday, January 18, 2015

Tutorial Try-It: Jaclyn Hill's 'Bombshell Makeup Tutorial'

It's time for a new series! Nearly all makeup lovers out there have discovered the value of watching Youtube tutorials for step by step instructions on how to do things as simple as a smoky eye or as seemingly unachievable of how to look like a Victoria's Secret model! These tutorials are such amazing tools for makeup lovers for tips, tricks, and inspiration. I find, though, that tutorials very rarely turn out as you expect them to, even when you follow them step by step with the greatest of concentration and skill. I'm starting this series called Tutorial Try-It where I will follow some top makeup tutorial videos and show you my results and grade the tutorial in a variety of categories. My first pick is Jaclyn Hill's 'Bombshell Makeup Tutorial' with 1.5 million views: 
Jaclyn Hill is seriously gorgeous and she has completely different coloring from me in every way which brings us to the first reason why tutorials can sometimes go a little wonky. She also has a super nice camera (which I don't have) and uses really blown out lighting in her videos adding to her flawless complexion. Nothing I create will ever quite look like what's on her face but lets give it a shot! Jaclyn describes this look as something you used to see Playboy Bunnies wear and something Pamela Anderson made famous.
Here are the products she used for this bombshell look and in parentheses I'll include the products I had to substitute: 
Brown now greasepaint stick (Mally eyeshadow stick in Rosey Taupe with Twinks MAC shadow over it)
creme brulee eyeshadow - makeup geek
Garnet eyeshadow- Lorac (MAC Antiqued eyeshadow -she mentions in the video this is a dupe)
Cocoa Bear e/s - Makeup geek
Coppering eyeshadow - (Naked3 Buzz and Dust)
Smolder eye kohl - (Urban Decay Perversion eyeliner)
Black eyeshadow
nude eyeshadow
Makeup Forever HD - 123- (Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation in Rose Ivory)
Anastasia Brow wiz - soft brown 
ProLong wear concealer NW20 (Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Vanilla)
Emphasize MAC pro highlighter (Rimmel setting powder)
Shroom e/s (Naked Basics Venus)
Bobbi Brown bronzer - golden light (Hoola Bronzer by Benefit)
Lancome hypnose (Tarte Lights Camera Lashes)
MAC peaches blush
Hard Candy - Tiki (Ambient Lighting Powder in Incandescent Light)
Costa Riche eye kohl (Stila Smudge proof eyeliner in Burgundy)
Kardashian Khroma Joystick - babydoll & Au Natural (MAC lipstick in Angel)
Jaclyn used false eyelashes in her look as well which I decided to go with out. Here is what I came up with following her instructions:
So a couple things to start: Right off the bat I didn't have the first product she uses which is the Brown Now Greasepaint stick from MAC. This rich color is what she blends all over the lid to give some richness to the eye look as well as that purple hint. I did my best with the substitutions, but I don't think I nailed it. Also, I do not own an eye kohl pencil. Jaclyn uses the eye kohl to smudge along her lash line then uses black eyeshadow to smudge it all over her entire lower half of her eyelid. I couldn't quite achieve that look with the eyeliner I had. 
Overall, I do like this makeup look. It's sexy and really smoldery with the smudged out liner effect rather than the sharp liquid liner I generally go for. I could see myself wearing this look out to date night or a night out on the town. 

Time: 20 minutes
Difficulty of tutorial: 5/10
Likelihood to wear this look: 8.5/10
Similarity to Tutorial Example: 5/10 
Availability of Products needed: 7/10
Clarity of Instructions in Video: 10/10
Overall grade: B 

I really enjoy the look I came up with from this tutorial. It is something different that I wouldn't normally have come up with on my own so for that, I think it serves a great purpose. I am bummed that it seems much of the overall look is dependent on that first product Jaclyn lays down in the video (the MAC greasepaint stick) followed by having the correct consistency of eye kohl to be able to smudge it out. 

If you want to try this look out on your own, check out Jaclyn Hill's tutorial! Screenshots used are from this video:

xxSJ

No comments:

Post a Comment