Saturday, January 17, 2015

YSL Rouge Volupte Lipstick in 'Beige Ultimate'

Yves Saint Laurent is one of the most luxurious brands out there and I have been lusting after their beautiful lipsticks for quite some time. The brand has a couple of different lipsticks but I received the iconic Rouge Volupte Silky Sensual Radiant lipstick.  The packaging is a sleek gold tube with a banded center accented with the color of the product inside. The metal tube is quite heavy and feels weighty in your hands. This packaging is so iconic and is something I would imagine fabulous moviestars from old Hollywood carrying in their beaded and sequined clutches. Does anyone else romanticize makeup like me?
It isn't just the packaging that's gorgeous, however. The product inside is a richly pigmented and silky smooth lipstick that is so buttery soft to the touch that it feels a bit slippery. As an added bonus, this product also comes with an SPF of 15! 
I have the color 3, 'Beige Ultimate.' This color is described as a 'mauve taupe' by YSL, but I have to say, it is really more of a pure beige brown. When I swatched this color on my skin I was concerned of how it would look on my pale complexion. It is a trendy color (90's style browns have made a comeback thanks to Kylie Jenner...get it gurl), and I hadn't yet tried this trend on myself. 
Here is the color on my light skin. I think the brown color takes on some peachiness on my own skin and I really like that effect! It adds a warmth and richness to my makeup that I enjoy and feels unbelievably light...so much so I kept checking my mirror to make sure the stuff was still on!  My lips are CRAZY dry right now due to being thrust back into the dry and cold climate of NYC. I feel like this lipstick does a fantastic job of masking the dryness and adding some moisture back into my lips. For the first time in a week my lips actually felt comfortable and I would use this as a chapstick if it weren't so expensive! This ultra pigmented lip product needs a light hand when applying otherwise you'll end up with quite a thick layer on your lips. It doesn't wear for a super long time (it won't stand a chance against eating or drinking) but for me, I don't mind having to reapply because the color and quality of the product is so spot on otherwise. 
This lipstick is $35 for 0.12oz of product. There's no skirting around the issue, this is silly expensive. I can't really justify this cost other than saying its a luxury brand and you are purchasing not only high quality but also a brand name (kind of like buying a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses over cheaper Forever 21 ones). If you're a collector or enthusiast like me, and have been wanting this lipstick, I think its great and would eventually like another one, therefore I would say go for it and take the plunge at the next Sephora sale! This lippie will be a gorgeous addition to your vanity and clutch... I already find myself ogling at it every chance I get.
Buy one for yourself here!

xxSJ

3 comments:

  1. You look so classy. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a bunch! It certainly is a more mature shade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helped me so much with this review!

    Following you now! :)

    Hope you do the same!

    ReplyDelete