Saturday, June 23, 2012

Tip Time: Keeping Track of Your Colors!

Sooooooooooo I'm slightly obsessed with nail polish right now.  It's just so pretty and I find doing my nails to be a very relaxing experience.  When I'm stressed you can find me either at Ulta or CVS making a polish purchase or at home redoing my manicure.... hey now. There are far worse things I could develop as a stress induced habit!
When I'm trying to pick out a color to paint my nails, sometimes I forget what the color actually looks like out of the bottle.  Example time! Essie's Watermelon looks like its a perfect raspberry-ish hot pink but when you paint it it really looks closer to bright red.  Another example: Essie's new 'Bikini So Teeny' is a cornflower blue that has a silver shimmer running through out it in the bottle. BUT! When you paint it on your nails, the microshimmer is non-existent and its more creamy than metallic-y.  
Now since I'm slightly OCD and enjoy making lists and keeping track of things, I figured out a way to remember what colors look like outside of the bottle.
I know. Genius. I painted tiny swatches of every color on a white wood chip.  I also separated the colors by brand.  Bottom left is O.P.I, the three colors above that are China Glaze, the top left are my Essie colors, and bottom right is Butter London. And there's room to add more little color swatches as I accumulate more polishes. Woot!
I completely realize that I probably seem crazy right now and I accept that.  However, I can pick out colors for my fingahs fast by simply whippin' out my wood chip instead of peeking at a bunch of bottles. Also my friends love borrowing my nail polish so when they're trying to figure out what color to use, giving them this mini color spread is easier for them to pick out what color they're 'feeling' rather than overwhelming them with 30+ bottles!
Convenience, practicality, organization, slight obsession, and cuteness for the win, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment