Monday, May 19, 2014

Steph Reads: 'Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynn

This book was quite the roller coaster ride. It tells the story of Amy Dunne, an America's sweetheart type of girl who disappears on the day of her 5-year wedding anniversary with her hubby, Nick Dunne. The story is told alternating between the perspectives of Nick Dunne, who is immediately looked upon with suspicious eyes, and Amy Dunne, who we find more information about through reading diary entries dating back to her first meeting her then-future husband, Nick.

I don't want to say too much about the story as I don't want to reveal anything, but this story is wrought with tension, suspicion, and you WILL NOT KNOW who to side with and who to believe.  I found the ending of this novel to be a bit unfulfilling as I got so wrapped up in these characters and what I wanted for their futures, but I was left wanting.  The ending suited the story, however, as things aren't always resolved neatly, and some people are simply not deserving a happy ending.

I would recommend this novel to friends as I thought this was a thrilling and quick read. There were certainly times where I did not want to put this down. Perhaps it was simply because I've never read a book quite like this, but overall I found its uniqueness to be simply captivating.

I also can't wait for the film to be released which is certain to be as thrilling as the book. Catch the trailer here:

Did you read 'Gone Girl?'

xxSJ

No comments:

Post a Comment