Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Worth the Hype? Too-Faced Better than False Lashes Nylon Lash Extension System

The Too-Faced Better than False Lashes system carries some pretty hefty claims. A 92% increase in volume and 42% increase in length? The appearance of false lashes with out the trouble and cost? I'll believe it when I see it...
This mascara system retails for a whopping $35 and I would have NEVER purchased this if it had not come in the Sephora Superstars kit. The point of this product is that it is a 3-step system. You first apply the regular black mascara (called the Activating base and top coat...cuz you fancy, huh?), then while that is still wet you apply the white nylon fibers. Finally, you wiggle on the final coat of black mascara which should leave you with beautiful, fake-looking lashes.  
Let me just chronologically take you through the process of applying this stuff. First off, here are my bare eyelashes:
First things first, I curled my lashes and then applied the 'Activating' mascara:
I actually like the way this stuff looks on its own! It's nothing wow-worthy, but I think it looks clean and simple. Next I applied the little nylon fibers. Dust bunny time!
There they are! Finally time for the final top coat:
And this is the end result...I think this looks like something straight out of a Tim Burton film. Sure, my lashes look insanely long, but its not really in a pretty way. It looks like I have spider legs coming off my lids.
Here's a comparison so you can see that this stuff definitely adds some oomph to your lashes but perhaps not in the best way possible. My boyfriend told me 'your lashes look thick and spidery,' when I asked him what he thought.  By the way, asking your boyfriend what he thinks of the mascara you're wearing is tricky...firstly because he probably doesn't know what mascara is.

As far as wearability and wear time I would say that is the worst thing about this product. Your lashes WILL stick together every time you blink and that gets really old, really fast. I didn't notice any of the fiber things falling off and getting all over my undereye area though, so you will get some good wear time out of this stuff.
This mascara was also VERY difficult to get off at the end of the day.  I felt like I had to tug at my lashes to get the fibers and coats of product off.  Between the 3-step system to put this stuff on and the time it took me to get it off, I don't think this is really saving time versus putting on false lashes.

Final Thoughts: This product does what is claims to. It thickens and extends your lashes in a big way. However, if you have thin lashes like me, clumping so much product onto them might not give you the prettiest or most elegant effect. If you love pouring on the mascara and your lashes just keep looking better with every layer, then this stuff is for you!  If not, then spending $35 on a product that is uncomfortable to wear and doesn't even look that great is not your best option.

Do you want to have fake looking eyelashes? Go to CVS and buy some Ardell false lashes. They give you a beautiful effect, are not that difficult to figure out, and are only about $5.

xxSJ

No comments:

Post a Comment