Saturday, May 17, 2014

Worth the Hype? Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream

The Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream is a favorite product of many, and thus it was included in the Sephora Superstars box this past year. This is how I got my paws on this product, otherwise I probably wouldn't have tried it out on my own strictly due to the $39 price tag on this 1oz of product. I've worn this product a couple times and so I'm writing today to say if I think this product is worth the hype surrounding it and worth the steep price tag.
This product claims to be a 5-in-1 product. Smashbox always makes their products with professional grade photography in mind and the purpose of this BB cream is to have a product that does everything for your face (primes, hydrates, controls oils, perfects flaws, wrinkles or pores) with out having to layer a bunch of product on the skin. The concept is really awesome and BB creams are notorious for not just being makeup but also a skin treatment. I also love that this product has SPF 35 in it. That's exactly what I need for my pale skin!
The shade 'light' is what came in the Sephora Superstars box which is lucky because that's the exact shade I am. There are 8 total shades to choose from in this line and I find the light shades strike just the right balance of pink and yellow undertones.
The product blends very beautifully and effortlessly into the skin. It will cling onto your hairs as you can kiiiiiind of see in the picture above, so just be careful around your brows and if you have any peach fuzz above your lip.
Left: No makeup, Right: Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream applied
As for coverage, this is definitely BB cream grade. This is VERY lightweight and provides very light coverage.  On my skin, the product does well to get rid of some of my redness (as seen on my nose), but doesn't hide any freckles at all. This product claims it is buildable or even can act as a primer for additional foundation on top.

This product wears really nicely on my skin with a powder to set it on top (I recommend setting this with a powder if you don't like a dewey finish).  It easily lasts all day with out needing touch-ups, however there is something interesting about how this makeup wears. I find when I wear this foundation I can feel it on my skin from time to time when I get the slightest bit flushed or if I'm sweating even just the tiniest bit. It kind of feels like my skin is sweating underneath the makeup and it feels cold and a bit odd. It is a hard phenomenon to explain, but it has happened to me every time I've worn this product.

At the end of the day, I think this is a good BB Cream and I will definitely use the rest of this product up on days where I don't care to wear much makeup with the expectation that it might not go totally unnoticed if I blush or sweat a bit. I do not plan on repurchasing this product when I run out because I think I have far better foundations that are more comfortable to wear and have better visible benefits than this Smashbox BB Cream.

xxSJ

No comments:

Post a Comment