Sunday, May 25, 2014

NARS Lipgloss: 'Orgasm'

NARS just relaunched their lipglosses with whole new formulations and brand spankin' new packaging. To help promote this relaunch, Sephora had a mini version of the new gloss as a 100 point perk in one of the most popular shades, 'Orgasm.'
It's so cute!! I knew I had to get my hands on this to try out the new ish. First off, let's start with the packaging. The classic NARS matte black rubberized texture is used on the cap with the bright white logo printed on to it. I think it looks super classic and sheek. The container is now a perfectly clear acrylic as opposed to the almost completely opaque old packaging which allowed you to see a hint of the color inside. This new packaging gets an A+!
The new spongy doe-foot applicator is really nice and my favorite type of applicator for glosses. The most important detail of this gloss for me was the smell. The old NARS lip glosses smelled like plastic and chemicals. It wasn't necessarily the most pleasant thing to have on your lips all day, and for that reason, I never reached for the NARS glosses I owned. This new formulation has NO SCENT whatsoever. Yay! They must have taken a hint from what seems to be the number 1 complaint of NARS lovers out there and taken out whatever smelly bandit was stinkin' up the place!
Orgasm is a peachy pink gloss with gold glitter streaks running through out. It is the color that I always tend to drift toward and also is my favorite blush color (jumpin' on the band wagon... I know).
The gloss on its own adds quite a bit of pigment to the lips and the wear time is about 3 hours with no touch-ups or reapplication. The glosses are noticeably less sticky than the original formula, but still have a stickier feel to them which is good because it means the gloss isn't sliding anywhere off your lips!
I noticed that this gloss looks extremely similar to another lipgloss I own, which is Revlon's Super Lustrous gloss in 'Peony:'
Peony is a little bit more dark pink, but otherwise, its pretty damn close. This dupe alert brings me to another point about NARS' new glosses: The price. These glosses will set you back $26 a pop and the reformulation included less product per container compared to the old ones. That's pretty steep for a gloss considering a MAC gloss will only set you back about $16.
The glosses are gorgeous and are of much higher quality than their predecessors, but I think if you can find as close a dupe as this Revlon gloss, go for the cheaper alternative. For the more unique colors in the new collection (they've kept the 23 old colors and tacked on 7 brand new ones!) there's nothing wrong with a splurge here and there if you're a gloss or NARS junkie. Guilty!

xxSJ

No comments:

Post a Comment