Sunday, August 12, 2012

Highlighters! My faves, swatches, and how-to

To buddy up with my bronzing post, here's a post about bronzers best friend: the highlighter!!!
Highlighting is the perfect way to give yourself that dewy look. I love highlighters because I find that sometimes my face looks a little too matte (since I have dry skin patches...sad day). Here are some of my favorite highlighting products:
Let's start this journey with Benefit's High Beam:
$26 for .45 fl oz.
This is a pinky toned highlighter with a nail polish type applicator. You are supposed to dot this along the top of your cheekbones and lightly blend in. I also use this for down the center of my nose. This works great to add some light catching glow to your skin and a little bit goes a loooooooooooong way.
NARS illuminator in 'Copacabana'
$30 for 1.1 fl oz (this is a .32oz sample size)
This is a 'glistening pearl' and comes in a squeezy tube.  You use it the same way as the benefit highlighter as it is the exact same consistency. This product has less pink undertone and is more silver/gold. You need the tiniest tiniest amount to highlight your cheekbones, cupid's bow, and nose. I like this one a little bit better than benefit's High Beam because it applies more evenly.
NYX Jumbo Eyeshadow Pencil in 'Milk':
~$4 for 5g
This is a completely matte white eyeshadow pencil that is perfect for using in the inner corner to highlight your eyes. That's all I would recommend this product for because it is so matte (and almost chalky) that it would not look natural on your face or as pretty as the dewy highlighters. It was worth a mention though for its inner corner dominance!
Maybelline's 'Champagne Fizz'
$3 for 2.6g
This product has an entire blog post dedicated to it if you want to check it out! This product is great for just dipping your finger in and patting onto the top of your cheekbones. It is also great as a brow bone highlight.
Urban Decay's 'Virgin'
$18 for 1.5g
This guy is my FAVORITE brow bone highlighter. It is a pearly white with beigy undertones. The shimmer is barely noticeable at all and the shadow is so so so velvetty it's amazing! This color also works great as an inner corner highlighter. I like it better than the Maybelline shadow because that shadow can be a bit gritty while this one is so smooth.
MAC cream color base in 'Hush':
 $18.50 for 3.2g
This highlighter stands out as my only truly peach highlighter and it is my go to highlighter for the summer when paired with a bit of a tan and some bronzer. I love the creamy consistency and it keeps my face from getting 'cakey' from too much powder. This is my current favorite highlighter! I use it for my cupid's bow, the top of my cheekbones, and down the center of my nose.
From left: High Beam, Copacabana, Milk, Champagne Fizz, Virgin, Hush
So here is the final swatch! As you can see, the colors are all just a tad different and have different finishes.  The liquid ones on the left are nice for fall and winter as they look a little more silvery and 'icy'....weird? I don't know. But the colors on the right are nice because they have a nice peach undertone which I love for my skin tone.
Honestly, a highlighter is a highlighter. If you dont have one yet, I would get one of the cheaper ones to learn how to use it first and then as you get samples and kits, you can start plugging in and adding to your collection.  For the most part, highlighters will all do the same thing no matter the cost!

What are your favorite highlighters????

xxSJ


No comments:

Post a Comment