Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Steph Reads: Beneath the Glitter

I just finished reading 'Beneath the Glitter' by Elle and Blair Fowler (popular beauty gurus on YouTube).  The novel is very new so I thought I would share my thoughts on it for those of you thinking about reading it!
First of all, I love the cover art. So girly and feminine! But now to the important stuff:
This book follows the misadventures of Sophia and Ava London, two girls who have recently moved to Los Angeles after finding fame through making beauty videos on YouTube. This book is loosely based on the Fowler sisters' lives, but the girls have made it clear that much of the story is fabricated.
I call this type of book a 'beach read.'  The plot was pretty simple with minimal conflict (though there definitely is some!) and the characters were all very fun and interesting to learn about.  I love reading this type of book while on vacation when I want a light and fun read, or when school is in session and I want a break from my dense text books!  Some books are page-turners because they make your heart race and you're so invested in the story and the characters' safety (Hunger Games, Maze Runner, etc...), but this book kept me glued because I loved watching the story unfold.  It's exactly what I needed because I don't always like to be stressed out when I'm reading for pleasure!  It helps that I am a fan of the Fowler sisters because the small similarities between themselves and the characters kept me attentive and made me chuckle a couple of times :)
The book ends on a cliffhanger and I am definitely interested in reading the next book in what I guess is a series!
I recommend this book to anyone looking for a nice light read and I especially recommend it to fans of the Fowlers and the YouTube beauty community!
Also, Elle and Blair Fowler came to the Beverly Center in Los Angeles for Fashion's Night Out so while I was there I had them sign my book. Why not? haha
 What book are you reading right now?
xxSJ

No comments:

Post a Comment