Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Steph Reads: 'Something Borrowed'

      I found this book for a buck at my local thrift store before I made the move to NYC.  I had seen and enjoyed the movie based on this novel and thought it would be fun to read a book set in the Big Apple as a newcomer to this city! 
This story is about Rachel White, who is a smart and spunky attorney at a prestigious law firm. She is also the long time best friend and maid-of-honor to Darcy Rhone,  a confident, gorgeous girl who seems to always get what she wants. The story follows Rachel after having one too many drinks at her 30th birthday party and ending up in bed with Dex, Darcy's fiance. The story takes many twists and turns as good girl Rachel attempts to get what she wants while having an epic internal battle between what's right and wrong.  Can Rachel really betray Darcy in order to be with the man she loves? Or will Rachel let Darcy win, yet again, and stand at the altar as Dex takes Darcy's hand in marriage? 
     Overall, I enjoyed this book for what it was. It was an easy read that I used to get my mind off of Anatomy and exams.  I will say, though, that at some points it was really hard to care about the characters and their outcomes. At its core, this book is about cheating, which isn't exactly admirable or likable.  Rachel, our leading lady who we are supposed to be rooting for, can be a bit whiny and immature at points which made me not care what happened to her by the end of the story.  I'm not even going to go into detail about Dex, the man that as a reader I should be swooning over along with Rachel rather than going 'ummmm your best friend is WAY better, go with him instead!' The most relatable character in the story was actually Darcy as I am positive that everyone has known or is currently friends with a Darcy. She's that girl that everyone desperately wants to be friends with but also secretly kind of hates. Darcy's character is what kept me reading this book because I found it so fascinating when I realized everyone has their own version of Darcy. 
     I would recommend this book if you are looking for an easy chick-lit read and don't mind less than stellar characters to get involved with.  This book was well written and I finished it in a relatively short amount of time, but I was never rushing to pick it up again after putting it down.  

xxSJ

Check out my other Steph Reads posts!
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
The Husband's Secret by Lianne Moriarty
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
What Alice Forgot by Lianne Moriarty
Uninvited by Sophie Jordan
Splintered by AG Howard
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Beneath the Glitter by Elle and Blair Fowler

No comments:

Post a Comment