Thursday, June 12, 2014

Steph Reads: What Alice Forgot

       I had a hunch that I would enjoy this novel, What Alice Forgot, by Liane Moriarty, but I was completely shocked that I loved it as much as I did!
      What Alice forgot is about a woman who wakes up after a bad fall in the gym with complete amnesia. Last she remembers, Alice was a 29-year-old married to the love of her life and pregnant with her first born. Now Alice is a 39-year-old with three children and in the midst of a terribly sour divorce. This novel follows Alice as she pieces together what happened in the last ten years of her life...why is her relationship with her sister so strained? What happened between her and her husband to cause a nasty divorce? Who have her children turned out to be?
      I thought there would be parts of this novel that were simply too full of confusion and conflict for me to really enjoy; that the fact that the main character doesn't exactly know whats going on might cause me to get too frustrated and want to not read any longer. However, Moriarty artfully writes this novel so the reader is finding out information along with Alice and things don't get too complicated before Alice is told details about her past that clear some things up.  There are some mysteries through out the novel that remain quite mysterious until near the end, however these mysteries allowed for me to form my own guesses and predictions and keep me engaged. I did find myself thinking about Alice's character and whether or not it was a good thing she had amnesia or not. It allowed the character to look at happenings in her own life with a completely untainted perspective and form completely different opinions than she had before. I wondered about what events in my own life would benefit me to have complete amnesia with!
     I finished this novel in under a week easily because it was such a fun and effortless read.  I would recommend this novel to any one of my friends, happily. I'm SO excited to read Liane Moriarty's other novel I purchased, The Husband's Secret. I found this novel so enjoyable that I'm sure I will love the next one! I'm also excited that I found such a fun, happy, read that distanced myself from my young adult, dystopian novels. A whole new world of literature has just opened up to me!!!!!!
xxSJ

Check out my other Steph Reads posts!
Uninvited by Sophie Jordan
Splintered by AG Howard
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Beneath the Glitter by Elle and Blair Fowler

No comments:

Post a Comment