Thursday, July 17, 2014

Steph Reads: The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

Before I even go into my review, I'm going to say that I give this book a 9/10, and I give its epilogue a 100/10...just, amazing.
      This story follows three different women: Rachel, an older woman plagued by loss and haunted by a mystery from her past; Tess, a woman whose quiet and smooth life has been disrupted by a startling realization by her husband and cousin; and Cecilia, a tupperware goddess whose husband has a very big, life-altering secret.  I went into this book expecting it to be a light, chick-lit read with light-hearted, simple issues and silly female tropes. What I got instead was quite a complex book following three women's intricate relationships that are in some cases very surprisingly intertwined.  The husband's secret isn't found out until about half way through this book. I liked having to wait for the secret because it allowed for the characters to be completely developed before a wrench was thrown into my ideas and thoughts on these characters.
      This book was a very fun read and had me addicted to learning more about these characters and fascinated with their reactions to different situations.  The reason I love the epilogue so much is because it discusses the butterfly effect.  How much does one decision, one interaction with one person, one minute longer spent at a place where you shouldn't be--how much do these seemingly insignificant moments effect the rest of our lives? Do all our decisions really matter, or are we destined to end up in the same place eventually no matter the decisions we make?  The epilogue of this book, though only 2 pages, left me impacted by this book, and for that reason, I would definitely recommend it to everyone!

xxSJ

Check out my other Steph Reads posts!
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
What Alice Forgot by Lianne Moriarty
Uninvited by Sophie Jordan
Splintered by AG Howard
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Beneath the Glitter by Elle and Blair Fowler

No comments:

Post a Comment