Thursday, June 5, 2014

Steph Reads: Uninvited by Sophie Jordan

**sigh**
      I think I'm officially done with the young adult, dystopian genre. The novel, 'Uninvited,' had such an exciting premise, however I was left wanting more when the book was finished, and not just because this book unexpectedly turned out to be the first novel of a series (what's with everything having to be a series nowadays???).
      'Uninvited' is about a society in the future that has identified a 'kill gene.' Carriers of this gene are murderers and it isn't so much if they kill, its more a matter of when. This book takes place in a time when genetic testing is mandatory to test for this gene and carriers are ostracized to keep society safe.
The book follows the main character, Davy, who has everything going for her until she finds out she is a carrier of the kill gene. No spoilers in this book review, though I will say the book took many unexpected (sometimes chilling) turns and I certainly identified with and felt for Davy. The novel explores the complexities of labels and assumptions as well as the nature versus nurture argument. Are carriers of the kill gene going to kill because its in their DNA, or are they going to kill because of how they are treated after being labeled a killer?
      This book gave me plenty of questions to think about and definitely had some more mature subject material in it than some other young adult books I've read, however it still just doesn't quite go there for me.  This is why I think I'm done reading young adult books. The subject matter of these stories is great, but since they're written for a younger audience, rather than my mind racing after I put the book down, I just kind of go 'huh,' and then have no problem moving on. I could see myself in high school LOVING this story, and thus I recommend it to anyone under 18. Otherwise I think my time is better served with some more mature reads.

xxSJ

Check out my other Steph Reads posts!
Splintered by AG Howard
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Beneath the Glitter by Elle and Blair Fowler

No comments:

Post a Comment