Sunday, February 9, 2014

Review: Smashbox Photo Op Eyeshadow Trio in 'Cover Shoot'


Today's review is of a Smashbox Photo Op Eyeshadow Trio in the set 'Cover Shoot.'  I knew I wanted to investigate Smashbox's eyeshadows further after liking my first trio so much, so I picked this set out at my last visit to Ulta:


I seriously love Smashbox's packaging... the matte black container snaps securely in place so you know the container won't open on accident. I also love the clear window on top so you can see what colors you're grabbing if you have multiple trios.
This trio is of the cooler variety and is purple in hue. I grabbed this trio because I thought the colors were all unique as far as additions to my collection and they are all equally beautiful. The only color I was concerned about being a dupe is the right color, Dusk. I was concerned it would be very similar to MAC's Satin Taupe, however it turned out to be much cooler and less metallic than Satin Taupe.
The shadows are buttery soft to the touch and ultra pigmented. I love that the colors are so soft because it makes them easily blendable on the skin.  These colors show up warmer and cooler in different lighting, so take note if you are swatching in store!
The lightest color, 'Flirt,' I would describe as a dusty silvery champagne. On the lid it shows up far more silver than it swatches. The middle color 'Dusk' is a purpley taupe with shimmer. The darkest color 'Haze' is a matte plum color. It is very pigmented and soft so a brush will pick up plenty of this color!
This is the eye look I created using just this trio. I put Flirt all over my lid and concentrated Dusk on the outer third of my lid. Then I darkened up my crease with Haze. I'm in love with the effect this trio gives the eye--a gorgeous purple-toned silvery cool look.  You can easily darken this up using the matte purple or wear it as I did for a daytime look. So much versatility in one little trio.

As I mentioned before, the colors are so soft that they are easily blendable but remain pigmented and don't simply all blend into the same color. The trio may look kind of dark and scary to work with in its container, however I found these colors extremely simple to use to make this pretty look!
We are happy. We are delighted. Who's we? Oh just me, myself, and my eyes. (I think I'm funny...deal with it).

This Smashbox trio is available at Ulta, Sephora, and some department stores for $28. For an upscale makeup brand that has long-lasting power and professionalism in mind, I think that's quite the steal for the quality!

xxSJ

No comments:

Post a Comment