Friday, February 21, 2014

Worth the Hype? Wet n' Wild Eyeshadow Trio in 'Walking on Eggshells'

Wet n' Wild eyeshadows are kind of a hot commodity in the beauty world right now, the reason being that this brand used to be known as a cheap, throwaway brand to buy for young ladies as their first makeup purchases.  In recent years, Wet n' Wild reformulated much of their makeup products and the most amazing of the new products are, apparently, the eyeshadows.  I couldn't pass up the opportunity to find out if these products truly are worth all the hype. I purchased the eyeshadow trio in 'Walking on Eggshells:'
This palette is one of the most gushed about palettes so I thought this neutral trio would be a good indicator of the eyeshadows as a whole.
Each shade doesn't have a color, but rather the place you're supposed to place the color is stamped into the shadow.  The packaging itself is quite cheap and flimsy, but for only a couple dollars, you're not exactly paying for glamorous or luxurious packaging!
While preparing to swatch these colors I noticed immediately that all these shadows are SO buttery to the touch, particularly the brown crease shade. Not chalky at all!!
The colors are super pigmented when swatched on the skin and show up true to color in the pan.  These colors are VERY shimmery and show up as such on the lid. I was pretty pleased with the blendability of these colors when I applied them, however since they are so shimmery, the reflective sheen kind of washed out the color and made the colors quite flat.

By the end of the day after many hours of wear at work, when I looked in the mirror I noticed that there was no creasing! Yay, that's fantastic! BUT, the flatness of the colors increased and my whole eye kind of looked like a shiny champagne gradient washed over my lid. I would recommend not actually wearing all these colors at once because its too much shimmer! Maybe placing the lid color all over the lid with Soft brown on the crease to create a really muted pretty look would be nice or using the crease color paired with a matte pink or nude lid color would be the way to go.

I tried to dupe these colors in my own collection and I failed miserably! Observe:
From left to right in this photo: Wet n Wild Lid color, Smashbox Crisp, Urban Decay Burnout, Urban Decay Freelove, Urban Decay X, Stila Kitten, Urban Decay Blaze, Too-Faced Silk Teddy.
As you can see I really didn't find a spot on dupe for this color, so that's kind of neat!
From left to right: Wet n Wild Crease color, MAC Woodwinked, Urban Decay Snakebite, Urban Decay Smog, Too Faced Honey Pot, Urban Decay Half Baked, MAC Mulch, Bare Minerals Ritzy, Covergirl Shimmering Sands Shadow Trio.

Again with the crease color, I had a hard time perfectly duplicating this color! I'm actually not a huge fan of this color since it is quite orange and warm, but its nice to have a color like this in my collection if I wanted to go for a certain look or do someone else's makeup.

All in all, I understand the hype around this product given its $3 price tag. I think this would be a good set to have in your makeup arsenal, however, I wouldn't recommend wearing all these shimmery colors at once for a complete look.

xxSJ

No comments:

Post a Comment