Saturday, July 28, 2012

All About Eye Primers!

Today's post is just going to be my two cents on eye primers: my favorite ones and why I think everyone should wear one!

Eye primers are so important for multiple reasons:
-they smooth the skin on your lid to provide an even surface for applying shadows
-they can even out the skin tone on your lid (either uneven pigmentation or little purple or red veins showing through) for even eyeshadow coverage
-they can make the surface of your lid slightly stickier to prevent eyeshadow creasing or smudging or traveling through out the day

I started wearing eye primer when I realized that only a couple hours after I applied my shadow or eyeliner, I would get  big creases in my lids from my colors getting smooshed together. Ew :(
Now, if oily lids are not a problem for you, you may want to consider wearing an eye primer anyway simply because it makes your colors more vibrant and visible and all in all, more beautiful.

My favorite primers are as follows:

1. MAC Paint Pots ($17.50)
MAC paint pots are meant to be eye colors but they actually work amazingly as primers! My favorite color is 'rubanesque' which is a pinky peach because it adds some complexity to shadow colors I place on top, but there are flesh toned colors offered as well. This product also lasts so long!  I've had mine for a year and am only about half way done with it.

2. Urban Decay Primer Potion ($20.00)
This primer potion is the most popular as well as award-winning. Part of the hype is because this was the first product of its kind, however it deserves the praise it receives. This product WORKS. It goes on your skin nude colored and dries basically invisible (there are 3 different colors available) and it keeps your shadows flawless all day.

3. Too-Faced Shadow Insurance ($18.00)
This is my favorite eye primer of them all.  This product is very similar to Urban Decay's in consistency but I just think it works a little bit better. I find it's a tad thicker than the primer potion and my eye shadow has NEVER creased while wearing this product.

Keep in mind with all of these products that a little goes a LONG way.  For the primers in the tube, you just need the tiniest little amount to cover your whole lid and for the paint pot, you only need to dip your finger in!
They may seem expensive but these products will last your for at least 6 months.

If you aren't interested in investing in a primer, you can use items you may already have! The following would work as an eye primer as well (just maybe not as well as the products listed above):
-oil free liquid foundation
-white matte eyeshadow
-concealer (this works great!)

 If you don't wear primer already please try it for a day! I bet your shadows will look amazing :)
Let me know: what's your favorite eye primer???




2 comments:

  1. I love the Urban Decay Primer potion, Maybelline Color Tattoos, and a really cheap, decent quality recommendation is the elf eyelid primer. :)

    Natalie
    http://nataliekslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've heard the color tattoos are great and similar to paint pots I just have yet to try them! Also I've heard good things about the ELF primer as well! Thanks for the rec :)

      Delete