Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Tip Time: How to Make Your Lipstick Last

Don't get me wrong. I loooove putting on makeup.  But when I put it on in the morning, I don't like retouching it through out the day.  I'm a minimalist when it comes to my purse and I don't like toting around all of my makeup products.  That being said, my goal is always to make my makeup last as long as possible so I'm not stuck looking at myself in mirrors all day and retouching my face (let's avoid looking vain!). Today let's focus on making your lipstick last!
 #1. Exfoliate before application! By using a lip exfoliant or even just lightly brushing your lips with your toothbrush and some water, you remove the dead skin cells from the day that would slough off causing your lipstick to come off with them! After exfoliating apply a chapstick or some vaseline to moisten them up before putting on your lipstick.

#2. Always line your lips! Using a lipliner not only keeps your lipstick from feathering through out the day, but it also adds a layer of pigment if you not only line but also shade in your lips

My favorite lipliner is 'dervish' by MAC. It's a pretty rose color and natural for my color lips.

#3. Check the type of lipstick you're wearing! The best type of lipstick for longwearing is a creamy formula.  Matte lipsticks can be drying and will cause the color to flake off and you'll be tempted to reapply simply to moisturize your lips.  Also frosty or shimmery colors tend to be less long wearing as well.  Covergirl lipsticks I have found to be very moisturizing if you're looking for a drugstore option, and MAC Cremesheens definitely do the trick.

#4. Apply straight from the tube! Applying your lipstick straight from the tube will pack on the most pigment making your pucker last longest.
#5. Apply some powder to your pout.  I like to dab some pink eyeshadow or some powder on my lips after I put on my lipliner and then put another layer of lipliner over it.  I swear by this trick and use it when I know I'll be eating or drinking--it ensures that even if your lipstick wears off, your lipliner will stay all night! Also try dabbing some powder on your lips after your lipstick.  If you put some light powder just on the center of your lower lip, it helps your color last as well as giving the illusion of poutier lips! Can you say two birds in one stone?

I hope these tips were helpful! Let me know if you try them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment