Sunday, July 1, 2012

How To Deal With Homesickness

Whether I am at college and I miss the home I grew up in, or I'm at my home with my family and I miss my home at school, I find myself getting homesick from time to time.
Home is where the heart is!
 For me, I don't miss my home so much as the people who are in it! I miss my siblings and parents when I'm away, and now that its summer, I find myself missing my friends from school.  Now that I've been at school for 3 years, I have discovered the best way for me to combat homesickness:
Letter writing! Writing a letter is such a great way to tell someone you miss them and to give them a quick run down of what's new with you.  The person will be so happy you sent them a letter (because come on, what an awesome feeling it is to open your mailbox and find a hand written letter!), they'll hopefully be enticed to write you back! Texting and talking on the phone is a great way to communicate but a handwritten letter is something really special and unexpected.  I have a huge box of all my letters from pen pals and I love going through it from time to time. It always brings a smile to my face :)
Writing letters to me has become a great stress reliever and the opportunity I need to think of my friends and family in either home.  It brings a smile to my face when I receive letters and I like to think my letters bring just as big a smile to those I send them to :)
It's a pretty cheap hobby as well.  Target always sells stationary in their dollar bins.  I've accumulated so many cards and envelopes and pretty papers through out the years that now all it costs to write is the stamp!
Try to write next time you're homesick :) I hope it brings a smile to your face!

Photos are from:
http://www.varbak.com/photo/sad-heart
http://lets-explore.net/blog/2009/06/summer-fun-bag-letter-writing/

No comments:

Post a Comment