Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tasty Tuesday! Pesto Chicken

Today I'm posting a recipe that I LOVE from the South Beach Diet Cookbook.  It is a low carb and low sugar pesto chicken recipe. When I cook this at school, my housemates would always come out of their rooms asking 'WHAT IS THAT?!!!' because the delicious smell would waft through our house!

Here's what you will need for this light n' tasty entree:
-1 chicken breast (fresh or frozen, whatever's available!)
-about a quarter cup of pesto sauce (I always use the Classico pesto from the jar but there are a ton of great recipes online to make pesto from scratch! I just don't have a food processor....merp)
-skim/ low-moisture mozzarella cheese
-a small casserole dish
-your favorite seasonings (I like rosemary and pepper!)
-aluminum foil (optional!)

Directions:
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. spray bottom of casserole dish with non stick spray
3. spoon some pesto into the bottom of the dish where your chicken breast will rest
4. place chicken on pesto in casserole dish, and season to taste (I sprinkle some rosemary and pepper on my chicken!)
5.Cover (or smother!) chicken breast with pesto sauce
6. Cover top with aluminum foil and place in oven and set timer for 20 minutes
7. After 20 minutes, take the aluminum off the top of the dish and sprinkle mozzarella over the chicken breast and cook for 5 minutes more
8. After 5 more minutes of baking, the chicken should be cooked through and the cheese should be browned!

ENJOY! This recipe is for a singling serving. If you wanted to make more than one breast, you can definitely do that and cook for about 25 minutes at 375.
Super easy. Super tasty. Pure love :)

xxSJ

photo from kalynskitchen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment