Thursday, July 26, 2012

Urban Decay 24/7 Liners vs NYX Slide On Pencils

Urban Decay's 24/7 Eye Pencils are award winning for being silky smooth during the application process while also being waterproof and lasting for FOREVER. The pencil also comes in a ton of beautiful bright and vibrant colors:

The brand touts that one is sold every 7 minutes....say what?!! The only downside of these awesome pencils is that they are $19. That is STEEP for an eye pencil, even if it is award winning...so I found something else I wanted to compare them to :) Introducing:
The NYX Slide On, Glide on, Stay on & Definitely a Turn On Waterproof, Extreme Shine Eye Liner. Mouthful but oh well.  I have heard that these little beauties are comparable to the UD eyeliners except they are only $8 (when not on a NYX sale) so I did a little experiment while I was at Ulta to compare:

I did the best I could in matching some colors from the NYX collection with comparable colors from UD's collection.  The NYX lines are on the left while the UD is on the right.  As far as application, NYX pencils went on my hand as buttery smooth as Urban Decay's. Now for colors: Only some of them can be considered legitimate dupes. That blue for instance...my goodness that blue.  The bright blue on the left is 'Azure' by NYX while the blue on the right is 'Electrify' by UD....they're almost an exact match. Also the browns looks pretty good. On the left is NYX 'Golden Bronze' and on the right is UD 'Lucky.'  Some of the colors are noticeably more pigmented like the blacks (which are probably the most important of the colors).  The left is NYX 'Jet Black' and the right is UD's famous 'Perversion,' the blackest black can get. The silver colors ended up being quite different after application, but I think NYX's silver color beats Urban Decay's silver that they offer (the two swatches on the right). That's NYX's 'Platinum' if you're interested in a bright silver, while the right is UD 'Gunmetal' if you're looking for a slated gray silver.
I did one last test while the swatches were on my hand. I took my fingers and did the unthinkable....I scraped down my skin trying to get the swatches to smudge:

Smeared. So, so smeared. I don't know if the picture picked it up as well as it did in person, but the Urban Decay swatches stayed put while the NYX swatches are the ones that smeared...sad day (and 'smear' is now a very weird word having typed it so much. huh.) I suppose that's what the extra $10 is what you're paying for with UD.  They truly are waterproof and will last you ALL DAY LONG.  I mean, look at that black! It didn't go anywhere and I pressed pretty hard into my skin to get the colors to move, and Perversion was staying put.

The final verdict: If you need a basic eyeliner like a black, plum, or brown, go with Urban Decay.  An investment in something you wear nearly everyday is worth it because you won't have to worry about touching up or checking to make sure your eyeliner isn't traveling all over the place.
BUT: if you need a colorful blue, green or silver, I'd say save your money and go with NYX. They've proven to be pigmented and if you're not planning on wearing the color for an extended period of time then the smear factor isn't a big deal.

I hope this review was helpful to you all!
Let me know: What do you think of Urban Decay's 24/7 liners? Are they worth the hype?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! And wow the UD black looks amazing!

    http://nataliekslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete